COVID-19 UPDATE: Loro Austin has reopened their dining room as of May 13, 2020 and will continue curbside pickup.
Loro Austin opened earlier this year and there have been mixed reviews so I thought I would write a blog post on my thoughts. Loro Austin is the new Asian smokehouse created by Chef Tyson Cole of Uchi and Uchiko and Chef Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue. So once you hear that your expectations are already through the roof, after all this is the basically the baby of two James Beard-nominated (numerous times if I may add) highly recognized superchefs, which is why I think people are disappointed upon their first visit as was I.
Loro Austin Review
Restaurant Name: Loro
Restaurant Description: Asian smokehouse meets Texas barbecue by James Beard Award winners Chef Tyson Cole and Aaron Franklin.
Price range: $10 - $30
Address: 2115 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704
Cuisine: Asian Fusion
Telephone: (512) 916-4858
- Really big outdoor patio
- Good for big groups
- Girls night out
- Date night
- Cocktails & appetizers
But if you look at just the food quality alone, the meats are smoked perfectly, the rice bowls are delicious, and the corn fritters are addicting. Loro is counter service which means you place your order and pay upfront, and then go sit down. They will bring you your food in no more than ~12 minutes.
Table of Contents
New Picnic Package for Two
LORO Asian Smokehouse & Bar to introduce the Picnic Package ($39.75), a curbside-only, limited availability lunch package for two only available for lunch on Fridays and Saturdays that includes:
- Charred Corn and Cabbage Salad pickled peppers, kale, yogurt vinaigrette
- Thai Fried Chicken Wild Turkey-black pepper cream sauce
- House Pickles seasonal vegetable pickles
- Coconut Scented Rice garlic oil, lemongrass
- Smoked Chocolate Crème Brulee salted peanut brittle
For an additional $5, add on a choice of:
- Stolpman Sauvignon Blanc (750 ml)
- Yokefellow “Billowing Clouds of Hallertau” beer (2 cans)
- Sundays through Thursdays from 11:30 am – 9:00 pm
- Fridays and Saturdays from 11:30 am – 10:00 pm
Curbside pickup and delivery is still available every day from 11:30 am to 8:30 pm
If you wish to dine-in, you can check the in-restaurant availability via Get Wisely on the LORO website
COVID-19 restaurant protocols
Here is what Loro is doing to make sure you have a safe dining experience.
- Party Size and Seating – we will not be seating parties larger than 6 (children and babies count). We guarantee a minimum distance of 6 feet or more between tables. Any guests waiting to be seated should wait in their car or outside at a distance of 6’ apart from any other waiting party.
- Contactless Exchanges – We are providing digital menus via QR codes as well as providing contactless payment options
- Uniforms and Face Coverings – All staff will wear masks and gloves. All materials will be washed overnight and gloves changed on a regular basis.
- Regular Sanitation – Staff is required to wash hands every 30 minutes and between customer interactions. Sanitation of shared surfaces and bathrooms will occur every 30 minutes and at the table turns. Hand sanitizer and wipes available throughout the restaurant. The restaurant will be thoroughly cleaned at the end of the service.
Rib dinner for two special
You can still order the rib dinner for two special for $39.75 – available from 4 pm – 8:30 pm on Sundays and Mondays.
1 Rack (serves 2) of Smoked Baby Back Durac Pork Ribs – glazed with a savory-sweet sauce of pineapple juice, tamarind, chilies and acid, the ribs are grilled-to-order over post oak for additional smoke and char and finished with pickled cauliflower and green onions for contrast, acid, and crunch.
Coconut Scented Rice lime leaves, lemongrass (serves 2)
Choice of 2 sides
- Texas Sweet Corn yuzu kosho aioli, lime, sunburst tomato
- Crunchy Cabbage Salad ginger vinaigrette, cucumber, cashews
- Sesame Rice Noodles chili vinaigrette, black sesame, green onion
- Tomato & Cucumber Salad cantaloupe, cilantro oil, lemon zest, mint
- Oak Grilled Snap Peas kimchee emulsion
2 Salted Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookies
WHEN: Monday – Friday from 2pm – 5pm
HAPPY HOUR DEAL:
- Loro Cheeseburger – red onion-brisket jam, muenster cheese, lettuce $8
- Pulled Pork Tostadas – corn tortilla, crème fraiche, shishito salsa verde $6
- Chicken Karaage – chili aioli, Szechuan salt, Thai herbs $6.75
- Crispy Smoked Chicken Sandwich – spicy honey, coconut-cabbage slaw, smoked hot sauce $7
- Frozen Gin & Tonic – $4
- Mango Sake Slushee – $4
- Yuzu Spritz – $5
- Sapporo Premium Lager – $3
- St Elmo “Smalls” Hazy Pale Ale – $4
WINE + SAKE
- Faisão Vinho Verde – $3.75 / 15
- Stemmari Pinot Grigio – $4
- Stemmari Rosé – $4
- Stemmari Pinot Noir – $4
- Ty Ku Sake – $4
Loro Austin’s menu features bar food, snacks and veggies, meats, sandwiches, rice bowls, desserts, cocktails, beer, and wine.
Wonton chips and dip
So yummy to munch on while you’re waiting for your food and with cocktails. Comes with a side of Thai green salsa and peanut sambal dipping sauces.
Oak Grilled Snap Peas, Crispy Smoked Chicken, Malaysian Chicken Bo Ssam, and Crunchy Cabbage Salad pictured above.
I always order the corn fritters every time at Loro because they’re so good and addicting. It’s corn kernels dipped in a batter, deep-fried, and served with sriracha aioli.
Smoked Prime Bavette
The smoked prime bavette is my favorite item at Loro. If you like Franklin Barbecue, you’re going to love this. The meat is so moist and then the shishito salsa verde cuts through that fattiness with the acid.
Crispy Szechuan tofu rice bowl
The rice bowls are so perfect for lunch – my favorite bowls are the crispy Szechuan tofu and the Malaysian Curry Chicken.
Crispy Pork Katsu
The crispy pork katsu sandwich is a hearty sandwich and by hearty I mean, it’s huge, and the yellow turmeric steamed bun is striking. I was too full after eating all my favorites on the table so I only had a small bite of the sandwich.
Mango Sake Slushee
The mango sake slushee is basically like candy – I could drink several of these on the patio. Speaking of patios, Loro has a huge patio so it’s on my list of best patios in Austin. The patio is dog-friendly so bring your furry friend!
SEE ALSO: 27 Black-Owned Restaurants In Austin