In collaboration with REI and ShopStyle. Thank you for supporting the brands that support A Taste of Koko!
Photography by The Dani Creative
Fall is officially here in Austin and this is my favorite time of the year! We’ve survived the hot and humid summer and now it’s time to fully enjoy this brisk weather before winter is here.
SEE ALSO: 45 TOP THINGS TO DO IN AUSTIN
With this chilly weather, you’ll want to bundle up with REI Co-op’s new Wallace Lake Collection inspired by the REI Co-Op founders’ first backpacking trip to Wallace Lake in 1929, eventually leading to them create REI Co-Op. The Wallace Lake Collection is filled with cozy flannels, jackets, and leggings to keep you warm and stylish for all of Austin’s top fall activities!
Table of Contents
KAYAK ON LADY BIRD LAKE
I love paddleboarding on Lake Bird Lake during the summer because you can wear a swimsuit and dip your toes in the water but it’s always too hot to kayak. Kayaking on Lady Bird Lake during the fall is one of my favorite activities because you can see all the fall foliage along downtown Austin without breaking a sweat in this cooler weather.
The REI Co-op Alpine Insulated Parka kept me super warm even in the coldest winds on the water thanks to the synthetic insulation and wind-resistant nylon/cotton shell that has a durable water repellent finish that repels light rain and snow. Comes in both this beautiful orange and evergreen color.
** This blog post was shot before the Austin flooding and I’ve contacted Texas Rowing Center on 10/25 and they are closed. They are hoping to reopen the week of 10/29.
Texas Rowing Center, 1541 West Cesar Chavez, texasrowingcenter.com
HIKE ON THE TRAIL AROUND THE LAKE
Austin has been voted one of the top fittest cities in the U.S. and one of the best cities for outdoor activities and that’s because we have so many hiking trails! I usually try to hike the Greenbelt every summer but this summer it was just way too hot. Fall is the perfect time to explore our local hiking trails to enjoy this beautiful weather.
The REI Co-op Wallace Lake Flannel Shirt is super soft and warm cotton flannel that comes in a variety of colors. I love the Co-op plaid olive green color especially since it complements autumn colors and upcoming holiday season! Paired with the REI Co-op Wallace Lake Leggings that have a 4-way stretch fabric that wicks moisture so it’s great for hiking, and the adorable REI Co-op Wallace Lake Beanie that has a cute pom.
HIKING TRAILS IN AUSTIN
- Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail – 10-mile loop around Lady Bird Lake
- Mount Bonnell – 106 steps to the top
- Turkey Creek Trail
- Slaughter Creek Trail – closer to South Austin
- McKinney Falls State Park – small park fee but there’s a waterfall!
- Shoal Creek Trail
- Barton Creek Greenbelt
- Walnut Creek Trail – a 7-mile trail that’s runner and bike-friendly
- Mayfield Nature Preserve – lilypad ponds and peacocks wander the 24 acres
- Enchanted Rock – 2-hour drive outside of Austin but it’s so invigorating to climb the massive pink granite mountain rising above Texas.
ZILKER BOTANICAL GARDEN
Fall foliage is in full bloom at the Zilker Botanical Garden this time of the year – don’t miss it!
2220 Barton Springs Rd, zilkergarden.org
We’re so lucky in Austin to have so many restaurants with outdoor patios to wine and dine. It can get quite chilly in November so bundle up with REI Co-Op’s Wallace Lake Collection! Here are a couple of my favorite outdoor patios:
- Boiler Nine – head up the rooftop patio for a stunning view of Austin
- Mozart’s Coffee
SEE ALSO: 21 Best Austin Patios To Wine & Dine
VISIT A LOCAL FARM
Fall produce is in season so visit our local Austin farms for this season’s bounty!
- Sweet Berry Farm – hayrides, mazes, and pick your own flowers and pumpkins
- Barton Hill Farms – corn maze, corn hole, and pick your own pumpkin
- Sweet Eats Fruit Farm – pick your own pumpkin, live music, pony rides, and hay maze
- Johnson’s Backyard Garden – annual fall open house is Oct 27th with farm tours and you’ll be able to buy fresh produce from the farm.