If you live in Austin, you probably heard of Austin Pets Alive but have you helped support this local non-profit?
Austin Pets Alive! is not your average animal shelter. Austin Pets Alive pioneers innovative lifesaving programs designed to save the animals most at risk of euthanasia. Austin Pets Alive! has saved more than 40,000 cats and dogs from euthanasia in Central Texas.
Table of Contents
1. VOLUNTEER WITH austin pets alive
Help volunteer at Austin Pets Alive – there are many different programs and opportunities!
- Weekend Kennel Feeding – help feed 150+ dogs every Saturday or Sunday
- Dog Enrichment – Enrich the lives of our dogs at TLAC by joining the enrichment team. The team washes, stuffs, and distributes Kongs and other items keep the dogs mentally stimulated.
- Dog Marketing – help get dogs adopted by marketing them! Our dog marketing team photographs and videos the dogs for the website, gathers information about the dogs, writes bios, and posts ads to websites like Petfinder and Craigslist.
- Cat Marketing – Help get cats adopted by marketing them! Our cat marketing team photographs and videos the cats for the website, gathers information about them, writes bios, and posts ads to websites like Petfinder and Craigslist.
- Tarrytown Cattery – Ensure APA! cats and kittens at our Tarrytown cattery get the care and TLC they need (and deserve) every day.
- Ringworm Ward – Help care for cats with ringworm (a fungus similar to athlete’s foot) in our ringworm ward until they are no longer contagious and can be moved into a foster home or the Cat Adoption Center.
- Be a part of the country’s largest No Kill initiative.
- Support medically and behaviorally fragile pets.
- Grow personally and professionally.
- Form lifelong connections with people and pets alike.
- $30 adults – non-refundable registration fee which includes an Austin Pets Alive! volunteer t-shirt.
- Submit an online application, which includes signing a volunteer agreement and a Release and Waiver of Liability form.
- Complete an online general volunteer orientation session.
- Attend an in-person tour of our TLAC facility.
- Be able to work independently and meet the volunteer requirements – including the essential capabilities of our volunteers.
- Attend additional training sessions as required by APA!.
- Volunteer at least monthly.
- Treat all animals with kindness and concern for their welfare.
- Represent themselves and APA! in a professional manner and treat clients, staff, and other volunteers with respect.
- Get matched by our Volunteer Matching Team.
2. DONATE TO AUSTIN PETS ALIVE
The easier way to help Austin Pets Alive is to donate through the website – you can donate once or monthly!
I also launched a Shop Koko shirt to help support Austin Pets Alive – the taco boobie tank shares our love for tacos and 25% of proceeds from each tank sold is donated to Austin Pets Alive!
3. FOSTER WITH AUSTIN PETS ALIVE
I helped foster kittens (4 kittens to be exact) through Austin Animal Shelter a couple of years ago and loved the experience. Fostering is a great way to have a furry companion at home without the lifelong commitment and more importantly, help animals transition from the stress of living at the shelter.
Fostering also helps saves more animals!
4. ADOPT WITH AUSTIN PETS ALIVE
If you’re looking to add a new furry friend to your home, take a look at the available dogs and cats available for adoption! Adoption fee varies per animal depending on age, breed, and medical and/or behavioral conditions.
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must show a picture ID with a current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- Adopting a cat? You have to live within 100 miles of Austin.
- Adopting a dog? An APA!-conducted meet-and-greet with current household dogs is generally recommended for most and required for some adult dogs.