This blog post is sponsored by Blue Apron. All experiences and opinions are my own.
The start of a new year always gets me in the mood of creating better habits and freshening up my lifestyle and workflow. This includes spending more time outside to soak up the sunshine, taking walks around my city, eating healthier, and visiting the local farmer’s market.
Soak up the sunshine at the park
I’m guilty of not taking more advantage of our beautiful parks in the city by simply putting out a blanket. Here are some of my favorite parks in Austin:
- Zilker Park
- Auditorium Shores
- Mueller Lake Park
- McKinney Falls State Park
- Shoal Creek Greenbelt
Wellness meals from Blue Apron
I want to continue cooking more at home and Blue Apron just launched a new Wellness menu that focuses first on flavor and supports a variety of lifestyles including vegetarian, WW-Approved, 600 calories or less, carb-conscious, and more. Eating healthier has always been challenging for me so I love that Blue Apron’s expert team of chefs in collaboration with their nutritionist have done all the hard work by making perfectly portioned recipes featuring fresh produce, whole grains, high-quality proteins, and natural sweeteners. The new Wellness menu includes Carb Conscious, WW™ Approved, and vegetarian recipes.
Blue Apron has 23+ weekly menu options that start at as little as $7.49 per serving. The delivery schedule is easily adjustable for a variety of lifestyles.
Go on a walk
Get out and get some exercise by walking around the city. I love walking around Lady Bird Lake on the Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail! Here are my favorite trails:
- McKinney Falls State Park
- 360 Bridge
- Walnut Creek Trail
- Barton Creek Greenbelt around Barton Springs Pool
- Pease Park
- Turkey Creek Trail
- Hamilton Pool Preserve
- Mayfield Nature Preserve
- Mount Bonnell
- Jester King trail in Dripping Springs
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
SEE ALSO: 14 Best Hiking Trails In Austin TX
Buy a plant from a local plant store
Add a new leafy friend to your home and help support a local plant store! Here are my favorite plant shops in Austin:
- Succulent Native
- Plant Party
- Garden Seventeen
- The Great Outdoors
- East Austin Succulents
Shop from the farmers market
Help support our local farmers and vendors by shopping at your local farmer’s market and there’s nothing like buying fresh produce and vegetables or trying out the local honey!
- SFC Farmers’ Market – every Saturday from 9am – 1pm
- Texas Farmers’ Market at Mueller – every Sunday from 10am – 2pm (sometimes there’s live music)
- SFC Farmers’ Market at Sunset Valley – every Saturday from 9am – 1pm
Paddleboard on Lady Bird Lake
I love paddleboarding on Lake Bird Lake (Colorado River) and it’s always breathtaking to see the downtown Austin skyline next to the Congress Avenue Bridge. If you don’t feel comfortable paddleboarding, you can also rent kayaks. If you go during sunset time, you can watch the bat colony fly out.
15% off any group bookings at Rowing Dock with my code: PADDLEWKOKO21
** any pre-booked group reservation (applies to group bookings, guided tours, and teambuilding & games)
Take a picture in front of the murals
We have so many murals in Austin – I Love You So Much Wall on South Congress, Texas mural on Sixth Street, You’re My Better Half in East Austin, and Greetings From Austin on South 1st.
SEE ALSO: Murals in Austin
Take a day trip from Austin
With Austin being in Central Texas, it’s so easy to take quick day trips or three-day weekend getaways:
- Texas Hill Country
- Round Top
- San Antonio
SEE ALSO: 19 Best Road Trips From Austin
Try a new food truck
While I love our local restaurants, I’ve been checking out new food trucks every week:
- Wham Bam – cute pink trailer pictured above with bagel sandwiches
- Cuantos Tacos – Mexico City-style tacos that are only $2 each!
- Dough Boys – pizza food truck located on the east side in the same food truck park as Cuantos (SEE ALSO: 10 Spots For The Best Pizza In Austin)
- Kerlin bbq – just reopened with their famous bbq kolaches
- La Caprichoza – just tried this Mexican food truck in North Austin, the quesadilla frita flor de calabaza y huitlacoche was delicious