When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste. -Laiko Bahrs–
Jars of Clay performed at the Austin Capital to fight malaria in Africa. The boyfriend and I stopped by to show our support and check out the tasty food vendors. There’s nothing like cold lemonade on a hot day from a cute stand!
Ever since Patrick raved to me about the sweetbreads that he had in Boston, I’ve been itching to try them myself. I came across them in the meat section when I was at HEB and had to get them. Honestly I’m not too fond of the pungent smell. One night, when I should have been studying, I decided to try my hand at sweetbreads and macaroons. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to think so, I am a horrible muti-tasker. Especially in the kitchen. Unfortunately, I also have this baking curse where I usually only succeed on the first try. And then, after that, nothing ever turns out. Thus, the night I decided to make sweetbreads and macaroons the boyfriend poured himself and me a drink and left the kitchen.
2 hours later…
I was amazed at the flavor of the sweetbreads and… my macaroons SUCCEEDED. I was super happy, dancing around in the kitchen. Maybe the alcohol added to my happiness, who knows 🙂
Sweetbread with Mushroom Ragout
-Adapted from Emeril Lagasse-
1 lb sweetbreads
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup clarified butter
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 large shallot, minced
3/4 lb mushrooms
1/2 marsala wine
1 tbsp tomato paste
- Heat up clarified butter in the pan
- Season sweetbreads with salt and white pepper.
- Mix flour with the seasons and then dredge the sweetbreads in the seasoned flour and dust off.
- Saute sweetbreads until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and shallots and cook to aroma, about 1 minute.
- Add more butter if needed.
- Add mushrooms and saute until impregnated with butter and soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, mixing thoroughly.
My. First. Macaroons. I was beyond ecstatic.
Ferrero Rocher Macaroons Recipe
Makes about 16 filled macaroons
-Adapted from almostbourdain.blogspot.com-
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Grind ground almonds, ground hazelnuts, cocoa powder and icing sugar with food processor to make sure there’s no lumps.
- Whip the eggs whites with a pinch of salt and slowly adding in the granulated sugar until soft peaks formed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg whites half at a time and start folding
- You should get a slow moving batter (flow-like-magma consistency).
- Pipe the macaron batter onto baking paper.
- Bake at 320F (160C) for 14 mins.
- Let cool.
Chocolate Hazelnuts Ganache
250 g milk chocolate
125 ml thicken cream
2 tbsp Nutella
1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Chop the milk chocolate into even pieces (the smaller the better) and place in a bowl.
- Heat the cream on the stove until it starts to boil.
- Pour the cream into the bowl of chocolate and let rest for 1 minute.
- With a rubber spatula, mix the ganache fully, adding the hazelnut extract and chopped hazelnuts.
- Cool and let it set in the refrigerator (around 1 hour).
|Photo credits: Patrick Lu