If it doesn’t work, it’s physics.
-Handy Guide to Science
This was also the very day that I invited Dr. Iverson to come to my FIG. He’s a popular organic chemistry professor at the University of Texas and the coauthor of the textbook Organic Chemistry. Gesturing toward the cupcakes he asked, “What’s the occasion?” Amanda told him that she brings food every time. Satisfied with the answer he plopped down and helped himself to one. He was even more pleasantly surprised that they were cream filled.
Over the past couple of weeks my students have been asking if Iverson really discovered the cure for Anthrax.
Indeed, the rumors are true.
More interesting the idea struck him when he was watching Balto the Disney movie with his daughter.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brush jumbo muffin pans with butter and dust with cocoa powder. Dust out excess.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, and mixing until just incorporated after each.
- Pour batter into muffin pan, filling each with about 1/2 cup.
- Baking, rotating tins halfway through, until a tester inserted in the centers come out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then pipe in marshmallow cream filling (below).