Breast Cancer Awareness cookies.
Pinkoctober. October is Breast Cancer month and here is my message to raise awareness.
10 million women around the world could die from breast cancer in the next 25 years, help continue to fight every minute of every day to save every life. The Susan G. Komen Foundation is an organization support breast cancer research.
Who is Susan G. Komen?
Susan G. Komen fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. That concern for others continued even as Susan neared the end of her fight. Moved by Susan’s compassion for others and committed to making a difference, Nancy G. Brinker promised her sister that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever.
That promise is now Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested nearly $1.5 billion since inception in 1982. As the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, we’re working together to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Thanks to events like the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure®, and generous contributions from our partners, sponsors and fellow supporters, we have become the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world. [Source]
There is a race is Austin on November 7 at The Domain. For more information.
Find a race near you.
Donate for the cause.
Vanilla Almond Sugar Cookies
3 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts and mix.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.
- Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Almond Royal Icing
4 tbsp meringue powder
1/2 cup water
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 tsp pure almond extract
- Combine the meringue powder and water. With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, beat until combined and foamy.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and beat on low to combine. (Do NOT skip the sifting!)
- Add in the corn syrup and extract if desired. ( I think the corn syrup helps keep the icing shiny.)
- Increase speed to med-high/high and beat for about 5 minutes, just until the icing is glossy and stiff peaks form. (You should be able to remove the beater from the mixer and hold up and jiggle without the peak falling.) Do not overbeat.
- Cover with plastic wrap touching the icing or divide and color using gel paste food colorings.