It’s officially soup season in Austin. The weather has slowly been getting cooler, which has had me craving hot soup at home. I’ve been obsessed with chicken tortilla soup filled with veggies, topped with shredded chicken, avocado, crumbled queso fresco, and fried tortilla strips.
SEE ALSO: Best Chocolate Cake
Not just any queso fresco, La Vaquita® queso fresco! La Vaquita® queso fresco (fresh cheese) was created in 1971 by Maria Castro, a Mexican immigrant. Her artisanal, small-batch process was inspired by a recipe she learned from her grandmother on their family’s farm and has since been handed down through generations of homestead cheesemakers. As a Texas-born brand, La Vaquita – which is Spanish for “The Little Cow” – has become a trusted favorite among households and restaurants throughout the state, helping define how Hispanic cuisine is enjoyed due to its delicious, instantly authentic flavor. I found the La Vaquita products at my local H-E-B, but you can also find the products at Fiesta, Walmart, Kroger and other local grocers throughout Texas!
Scroll down for this cozy chicken tortilla soup recipe that you’ll be making all season long!
Queso fresco is a Mexican crumbling cheese with a fresh, bright, milky and mild flavor that is the perfect complement to just about any dish. This crumbling cheese is similar to feta and goat cheese, but has a smooth flavor that allows for more versatile usage. Try it right out of the package, it’s deliciously addicting!
This recipe is inspired by Chef David Corúa of Cordúa Restaurants original recipe here. I did make a couple minor tweaks to the recipe:
- Instead of grilling the corn, I sliced the kernels off the cob and added them into the soup.
- No fryer at home? I don’t have one either! Just slice the corn tortillas into skinny strips, drizzle with oil, and season with salt. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes at 350ºF.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 2 ears corn
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 1/2 cups of onion, copped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup La Vaquita® Queso Fresco
- chopped cilantro
- fried tortilla strips
- Poach chicken breast in a large pot of salted water until just cooked through and chill in the refrigerator. Pull or shred chicken once cooled.
- Dice carrot and zucchini in large chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the onion until starting to caramelize, then add the garlic and stir briefly.
- Add the tomatoes and chipotles. Stir for 1-2 minutes before adding the wine, stock, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Add chopped carrots and cook for 10 minutes and then add zucchini and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Slice kernels off the corn cob and add to soup.
- Divide shredded chicken between bowls. Ladle soup over chicken, and top with diced avocado, tortilla strips, cilantro and La Vaquita® Queso Fresco.
This post is brought to you in collaboration with La Vaquita Cheese. Thank you for supporting the brands that support A Taste of Koko!