In collaboration with B&W Quality Growers. Thank you for supporting the brands that support A Taste of Koko!
Good morning y’all! I love breakfast bowls and this savory breakfast bowl is Tex-Mex inspired with crispy hash bowls, creamy scrambled eggs, chorizo, and pico de gallo. I also added a leafy green to this breakfast bowl to round it out – watercress.
SEE ALSO: Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tacos RecipeHave you tried watercress before? This superleaf has a peppery taste that’s similar to arugula but it’s the healthiest leafy vegetable on the planet!
Watercress is an aquatic plant known for its vivid green color and unique peppery taste. This popular leafy cruciferous is naturally low calorie, fat-free, cholesterol-free, and very low sodium food. Watercress is one of the most nutrient-dense foods as measured by the Aggregate Nutrient Density Index!
Frequent consumption of watercress is also associated with a reduction in DNA cell damage and an increase in antioxidant activity in the body, both of which may help fight cancer, according to research published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
- healthiest leafy vegetable on the planet
- 18 essential vitamins and minerals
- one of the most nutrient-dense foods in the world, earning a perfect score on the ANDI nutrient density scale
- good source of vitamin A – an essential vitamin necessary for normal vision, skin health, & maintaining immune function
- high in the antioxidant vitamin C – protects the body against free radicals
- excellent source of Vitamin K – forms and strengthens the bones and limits neuronal damage in the brain
WHERE TO BUY WATERCRESS?
Since 1870, B&W Quality Growers has been the world’s largest grower of distinctive baby leaves®, including green watercress, exclusive wild red watercress, and wild roquette arugula. B&W farms span eight states which allow them to grow products where they are always in season and at their peak of freshness and flavor. This “Smart Farming” initiative yields healthy products grown sustainably and naturally.
This is a hearty breakfast but you can always add black beans or sub roasted potatoes instead of hash browns.
If you make this Tex-Mex Breakfast Bowl, tag me on Instagram @atasteofkoko!
EASY TEX-MEX BREAKFAST BOWL RECIPE STEP-BY-STEP
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, fry hash browns in olive oil. Cook until brown and crispy. Layer on the bottom of a dish.
TIP: For extra crispy hash browns, add extra oil and try not to touch the hash bowls as they’re cooking in the nonstick pan. You want to do just the one pan flip. Instead of hashbrows, you can do cubed sweet potatoes and roast them in the oven on a baking sheet.
2. Cook chorizo in a hot pan and put on a plate with a paper towel to absorb the extra grease. I like cooking a little extra chorizo just to have in the fridge for the rest of the week.
Tip: You can also sub for vegan chorizo or breakfast sausage!
3. Time to cook the eggs! In a large bowl, whisk large eggs until frothy. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Warm the butter in the same pan on the stove and swirl to evenly coat. Pour eggs into the pan and scramble the eggs by pushing the mixture around until it’s almost set. Turn off the heat. I don’t recommend adding salt since chorizo is pretty salty but feel free to add black pepper.
I’m actually not an expert at scrambled eggs so I had to make this batch twice. Accidently overcooked my first batch of scrambled eggs while trying to take photos – oops! If you don’t want to deal with making scrambled eggs, you can also do just a fried egg on top.
5. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top of the eggs and cover with a lid to melt the cheese.
6. To assemble the bowls, add hash browns and then top with watercress. Then layer the cheesy eggs and add chorizo.
Tip: You can also sub sweet potatoes for hash browns, and add quinoa and more veggies like kale and bell pepper.
7. Add pico de gallo, scallions, and sliced avocado.
TIP: You can make your own homemade pico de gallo with tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. I also like adding a drizzle of hot sauce like Cholula.
Eat right away! You can easily meal prep some of these ingredients ahead of time if you have busy mornings. If you have leftovers, add tortillas and turn it into breakfast burritos!
Let me know if you want more breakfast recipes in the comment below.