- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Trim the artichokes for boiling; lay each on its side and cut off about an inch or so off the top. Break off the small leaves near the base and cut off all but an inch or so off the stem. Rinse it well under cold water.
Watch out for the spines! These little suckers pricked me at the grocery store and then again when I was washing them
- Boil the artichokes, uncovered, for about half an hour. They are done cooking when the leaves pull out easily and the bottoms are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Gently reduce the lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small sauce pan until about one tbsp.
- Over low heat, whisk in the chilled butter pieces, one at a time, until creamy.
- Remove from heat, and, when ready to serve, whisk in 2-3 tbsp dribbled hot water to warm.
3 large egg yolks
2 tbsp of hot water
just over 1 tbsp of lemon juice
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Melt butter slowly in saucepan. Remove from heat and leave to one side.
- Using a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks until thicken.
- Slowly add tbsps of boiling water and beat constantly until sauce beings to thicken.
- Whisk in lemon juice and salt.
- Next whisk in melted butter. Beat until thick.