In collaboration with Chila ‘Orchata. Thank you for supporting the brands that support A Taste of Koko!
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and Chila ‘Orchata has the perfect Valentine cocktail to romance that special someone. It’s rich, sweet and strong – all of the qualities we look for in a partner. ;). Just kidding. Switch out “rich” for “bold”, and we’ve got a REAL winning combination. Here’s a little beauty we like to call the Tulipan.
SEE ALSO: Queen’s Park Swizzle Cocktail Recipe
“Tulipan” (pronounced too-lee-paan) is the Spanish word for “tulip.” While every decorative flower has its own distinctive meaning, the tulip’s just happens to be perfect for Valentine’s Day. Roses symbolize passion, lilies represent devotion, and the Bird of Paradise stands for joyfulness. Did you know the meaning of tulips is “perfect love?”
It is said that a Turkish legend is responsible for the tulip’s symbolism. The story goes that a prince named Farhad was enamored of a beautiful maiden named Shirin. When Farhad learned that Shirin had been killed, he was so overcome with grief that he rode his horse over the edge of a cliff. Legend has it that a single tulip sprang up from each droplet of blood, giving the tulip the meaning “perfect love.”
Sad story, sure, but you won’t experience the immense joy perfect love can bring without a little sadness along the way.
With a base of Puerto Rican rum, Chila ‘Orchata will remind you of a Latin American vacation. The liqueur is spiced to perfection with cinnamon horchata and just a touch of vanilla. We combined the quintessential pairing of strawberries and chocolate with Mexican tequila and Chila ‘Orchata. Hence the Spanish name. The Tulipan gives you a swirled dream of dark chocolate, strawberries, vanilla, and cinnamon that will leave your special someone with hearts AND stars in their eyes.
For the infusion: Strawberry Vanilla Bean Tequila
Make this strawberry vanilla bean tequila 5 to 7 days in advance in a cool dark place. It’ll last 3 months on the shelf if you don’t finish it off before then!
- 1 750 ml bottle silver tequila
- 1 carton fresh strawberries (about 10 – 15)
- 2 dried vanilla beans
- Remove tops from strawberries and slice vertically.
- Slice vanilla beans lengthwise. Pour all ingredients into appropriately sized infusion jar.
- Let set 7-10 days in a cool, dark place, stirring occasionally.
- Strain infused tequila through a cheesecloth into a clean bottle or jar and label for future use.
For the Garnish
You can do this the day before and keep the coupe glasses chilled in the fridge.
- Magic Shell Chocolate Fudge
- Peruvian dark chocolate
- 1 fresh strawberry
- Pour chocolate fudge onto a plate.
- Dip the edge of the coupe glass into the chocolate fudge.
VALENTINE MARTINI RECIPE
- 2 ½ oz strawberry vanilla bean infused tequila
- 2 ½ oz Chila ‘Orchata
- Combine infused strawberry tequila and Chila ‘Orchata in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into 5 ½ oz chocolate shell-rimmed coup glass.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry slice.
- Grate Peruvian chocolate over the cocktail.