Yule Log Cake
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 finely chopped Candy Cap Mushrooms or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 17 x 12 inch baking pan with a non stick vegetable spray.
- Line the pan with parchment paper and then butter and flour the parchment paper or silpat.
- While the eggs are still cold, separate the eggs, placing the whites in one bowl and the yolks in another. Allow yolks and whites come to room temperature.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the 1/4 cup granulated sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks, mushrooms, and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar until the batter has a thick consistency. Gently mix in flour until just blended.
- Gently fold egg yolk mixture into the beaten egg whites. Try not to deflate the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into your baking pan and using a spatula, evenly spread it out.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until cake top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Cover the cake with a clean, slightly damp towel.