In collaboration with THE HOUSE OF ANGOSTURA®. Thank you for supporting the brands that support A Taste of Koko!
There’s something special about the contrasts of winter mornings – crisp chilly air outside combined with a warm kitchen filled with smells of spices inspires relaxation. This Winter Baked Oatmeal recipe is so cozy and full of the flavors of winter – warm oatmeal, cinnamon and nutmeg spices and pops of tartness from the cranberries. It’s the perfect way to embrace the best of the season.
SEE ALSO: Mini Rose Apple Pies Recipe
Serve the winter baked oatmeal with warm almond milk or Greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple or honey – it’s SO good! Add a steaming cup of apple cider to the baked oatmeal and this is the ultimate winter breakfast.
The secret to this winter baked oatmeal is ANGOSTURA® aromatic bitters, which adds extra herbal, aromatic flavor to enhance the cinnamon and nutmeg spices in this recipe, so pull that bottle out of your bar and add a few dashes! ANGOSTURA aromatic bitters evoke a rich bouquet of herbs, botanicals, and spices, supplying layers of fragrant complexity to my favorite cold-weather food and drink recipes. Beyond their applications in deliciously sweet dishes like this oatmeal and these Mini Rose Apple Pies, ANGOSTURA aromatic and orange bitters can be used in a range of savory foods, including marinating meats and seafood and seasoning sauces. It’s my go-to, essential ingredient for holiday entertaining.
WINTER BAKED OATMEAL RECIPE STEP-BY-STEP
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a baking dish with oil or oil spray. In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, applesauce, milk, ANGOSTURA aromatic bitters, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk to combine.
2. Add oats, pecans and cranberries to the bowl and stir well to incorporate.
TIP: I never know what to do with that half-empty bag of leftover cranberries after the holidays…. instead of tossing it, I added to this oatmeal!
3. Pour into the baking dish and top with extra cranberries. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the edges are slightly caramelized. Remove from oven.
4. Serve winter baked oatmeal in separate bowls with your favorite bases and toppings. I like mine with Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey!
WARMED APPLE CIDER RECIPE STEP-BY-STEP
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 dashes ANGOSTURA® orange bitters
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional, for garnish)
- 1 apple slice (optional, for garnish). Note, don’t slice the apple until the drink is ready to serve, to avoid it turning brown.
- 1 oz whiskey (optional)
1. In a microwavable cup, add apple cider. Microwave for 1 minute until the apple cider is steaming. Add ANGOSTURA orange bitters and stir to combine.
ANGOSTURA orange bitters add that extra oomph to apple cider, with a touch of fruity citrus oils and spices.
2. Add cinnamon stick and apple slice for garnish. Feel free to spike with some whiskey, as well!
Baked oatmeal with warmed apple cider is the ultimate winter breakfast! Enjoy!