- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 40 beignets 1x
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package yeast
- 1/4 cup water, warm
- 1/2 cup water, cold
- 3 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Canola oil for deep frying
- Confectioners’ sugar for serving
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine half & half, pumpkin puree granulated sugar, butter, and egg.
- Add 1/2 cup cold water and mix.
- Incorporate the yeast mixture.
- Add 3 cups of all purpose flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Slowly mix until a dough forms and remove from the mixer.
- Dust work area with flour and knead the dough until smooth and soft. Shape into a ball.
- Lightly grease a bowl and add the dough. Cover with a cheese cloth. Allow the dough to rise in a warm spot until it doubles in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Bring a pot of oil to 180*C with a dept of at least 3 inches (7.5cm) into a deep, heavy saucepan.
- Using an ice cream scoop, create 2 inch balls of dough. I like OXO’s trigger ice cream scoop.
- Use a metal spatula to carefully lower a few of beignets into the hot oil. Be sure not to crowd the pan.
- Deep-fry the beignets, turning often, until puffed and golden brown, around 3 minutes.
- Allow beignets to drain on paper towels.
- Generously dust with confectioners’ sugar, and serve at once.