“Christmas at my house is always at least six or seven times more pleasant than anywhere else. We start drinking early. And while everyone else is seeing only one Santa Claus, we’ll be seeing six or seven.”
W. C. Fields
A spiked eggnog is an happy eggnog.
Forget that thick, overly sweet so called eggnog from the supermarket. The egg whites in this recipe it keep light and frothy. And instead of the traditional glass of eggnog that incorporates rum, this eggnog uses not just two but three kinds of alcohol. Dark rum, bourbon, and brandy. Let’s just say, have yourself a merry little Christmas.
And don’t forget to leave a couple of freshly baked cookies and shots of eggnog out for Santa. Maybe not too much though. He won’t be able to fly his sleigh and deliver presents by the end of the night. And I’m definitely sure they don’t allow drunk sleigh driving up in the sky.
Triple Shot Eggnog.
Allison Ehri Kreitler from Fine Cooking
3 large eggs, preferably pasteurized, separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark rum
1/4 cup bourbon
2 Tbs. brandy
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg, plus extra for garnish
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl until they just begin to turn a lighter shade of yellow.
- Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and whisk until thick and pale yellow.
- Whisk in the rum, bourbon, and brandy until well combined and then whisk in the milk, cream, nutmeg, and vanilla until blended. Chill the mixture, covered, for 4 hours or overnight. Keep the egg whites chilled separately in a medium bowl.
- Before serving, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks with a hand-held electric mixer. Fold the whipped egg whites into the chilled yolk mixture.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with a little freshly grated nutmeg, or chill for up to 4 hours. Whisk the eggnog until smooth before serving.
- Makes 12 shots.